Tuesday, September 2, 2008

ABC WEDNESDAY: G for Grandparents

Grandparents are precious. They help parents in children's growth in a very special way. They say tales, learn many things to their grandchildren and sometimes they grow up them when the parents can't .
I have something special to remember about each of my grandparents...



Grandma Marina taught me how to knitting when I was ten years old. I still love it. Every time I look at my handicraft I remember her. I miss her a lot.
Grandpa Dimitris liked playing with me. I was climbing over his back and he was running round the house. I remember him laughing behind his square moustache.
They lived in Crete and I used to visit them every summer.



Grandma Antigoni narrated me many fairytales and stories. She was so good at it that sometimes I believed them. She incited my Grandpa Ioanni to give me money to buy candies. And he always did.They lived in Athens and we used to talk to the phone everyday.



That man with the big moustache is my husband's Grandpa Giorgos in 1908. Isn't it a strange photo comparing with today ones?



The man at the right is my husband's other Grandpa, Spiros in 1921. He delivered goods with his "ancient car" at those hard times.

Unfortunately no one is among us. We miss them all. But we remember them with love and nice memories.



23 comments:

Rune Eide said...

A very nice and thoughtful post. Grand parents are worth their weights in gold. I only knew on of mine - happily all my four children met all of theirs.

antigoni said...

There are so many memories from our grandparents.Thank you for honour them.

Anonymous said...

These are very nice photographs. It is nice to see old photos. I am always surprised at all well they look. I have some over 60 years old that look good.

I only got one Grumpy Alien posted for "G." He is at Thunder Maker

Reader Wil said...

What a beautiful tribute to your grandparents.

gaz said...

lovely photos. what treasures.

The Mulligan Family said...

Grandparents are so special. It makes me sad that my son did not have the opportunity to know his grandparents, as they all passed before he was born. This was a beautiful post, and loving tribute to your and your husbands grandparents. Happy ABC Wednesday.

Anonymous said...

What great photos! Grandparents are great. I have really good friends with the last name of Spiro...

mrsnesbitt said...

ABC Wednesday evokes so many emotions...........right now, the deep love you expressed through this post is awe-inspiring and reminds me of the deep love my grandparents always shared. Thanks so much.
Dxx

Pat - Arkansas said...

Thanks for sharing all the photographs of your and your husband's grandparents. They are wonderful!

photowannabe said...

I like seeing the old family pictures. They are such precious memories. Wonderful post for the letter G.

Leslie: said...

Thank you for introducing us to your grandparents. You'll like my post today, too, as it shows my grandmother when she was a baby in 1892! :D

Liz Hinds said...

They sound like ideal grandparents. I especially like the photo of grandpa Gorgios

Webradio said...

Hello !

Very very beautiful OLD PHOTOS, in black and white...

Maria Verivaki said...

excellent post marina - this is one of your best!

Gerald (Ackworth born) said...

a truly grand set of old pictures

Vodka Mom said...

That was a wonderful tribute. I loved the photos!

kouji said...

cool. :) i love old photos.

D Herrod said...

What a wonderful tribute to your grandparents. I too am thankful for my grandparents.

ayamlin said...

Hello marina!
yeah, I was taught various dishes from my grandmother.
yes, grandparents are really great.
I'm lucky to meet them.
Because one of my friends hadn't seen her grandmother.
Because she passed away when she was a baby.

Anonymous said...

great post for the "G"

Bear Naked said...

I also made my post about grandfathers.
How nice for you that your Grandpa Dimitris was so playful.

Bear((( )))

Columbo said...

What a great tribute to your grandparents. I to had a great influence from my grandparents. Love the old photos. Priceless!

Rinkly Rimes said...

I'm from Australia. Did you know that Melbourne is the second largest 'Greek' city in the world?
You must visit here one day.