Tuesday, September 9, 2008

ABC WEDNESDAY: H for Hobbies

My first hobby was collecting napkins! I collected many of them and when I was tired of that my family used them in a big birthday party. I was very happy for that ,like sharing my collection with everybody. After all it was an eight years old girl collection!


It was the winter of 1978. I was ill with the flu and I couldn't go to school. I was a ten years old student at that time. I was very bored and didn't know what to do. When my father returned home from work he had a present for me: an envelope full of stamps from all over the world! That was it! The next days I became better but I never got better from the microbe of the philately. I managed to collect thousands of them, put them in books, exchange my similar with other collectors. As the years went by I started a coin collection too, but not so passioned.When I got married I found out that me and my husband were sharing the same hobby so we add the two collections in one and had about 2000 stamps. We were thirteen months married when thieves got into our house and stole our collections (stamps and coins). Probably they would have thought that they were valuable. In fact their value was unimportant but not for us. I haven't collect any stamp or coin since then...


My hereditary hobby is kniting. Everyday I try to do my houseworks fast in order to have time to do my handicraft. It's relaxing, creative and...thieves don't prefer it!!!

I'm looking forward to hear about your hobbies...beside blogging ofcourse!!!



27 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you found a hobby to enjoy. Very pretty work. Thieves are just despicable!

Saz said...

Yassas!

Great H post....good job!!

Reader Wil said...

Such a pity to lose your stamps and coins by burglary. It's really annoying. I am glad that you have such a nice hobby now.

Ivar Østtun said...

Great hobbies :-)

me ann my camera said...

Having a hobby is fascinating. Thanks for sharing yours.

Tom said...

Excellent 'H' post... I never thought of hobby.. :O)

My is HERE

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post with several nice photos.

I only have one "H" for my post today. I hope you like it. I put it on Canon Pixels

Buddhist in Training said...

Γεία σου

I am so sorry to hear that your collection was stolen, that's awful. But glad to hear you have a new passion.

Maria Verivaki said...

you have just reminded me to look up my stamp collection (and find it first!)

Leslie: said...

What a wonderful hobby to have! It's too bad those thieves stole it, but glad you've found another hobby to occupy your time and give you such pleasure. :D

Liz Hinds said...

How disappointing to have your collections stolen!

BY the way, may I book a table at Marina's tavern?! The food sounds wonderful. You must have been exhausted at the end of the weekend.

Granny Smith said...

What a sad loss for your husband and you of your combined collections! Hobbies is a wonderful thought for your H post. Handicrafts too. I admire your lacy knitting.

photowannabe said...

It must have been difficult to loose your hobbies in such an awful way. How sad. Your new hobby of the lace knitting is just veautiful. You are a master at this craft.
Right now my hobby is mostly my grandchildren. I just love them so much.

Kim from Hiraeth said...

So sorry you lost your stamps and coins.

Hobbies are fun! I have several; quilting, gardening, and entertaining. Makes life interesting!

Anonymous said...

i used to collect stamps as well. back then, that was a way for me to reach out to the wider world. no cable tv back then.

Lynette said...

I like your ABC Wednesday post.

Bear Naked said...

How Horrible that thieves would steal your Hobbies of stamp and coin collecting.
But your new Handcraft Hobby is beautiful.

Bear((( )))

magiceye said...

that was an interesting post!

antigoni said...

I know the sadness and the pain for your lost collections. But you are a person that recovers very quickly and you found another hobby pretty soon.

Rinkly Rimes said...

How awful to have your treasures stolen! Once we were threatened by a bush-fire and all I could think about were the photographs!

Maria said...

Hallo marina,
yes, first copy the list, mark the things in the list which you did yourself bold (fat) and then add at the end of the list one new thing that you did. At the beginning write instead of caro's name my name! That's all! Caro has added No. 154 Solved Rubic's cube, and I added No. 155 Climed the Olymp.
After having posted it, say this in a comment on my blog.
Have a lot of fun!

Jane Hards Photography said...

Bird watching is mine. It's good beacuse as a photographer I can combine my hobby with work. You are very dedicated your hobby I can see.

Anonymous said...

nice post for the "H"

Cathy said...

Great idea for H.. I was having a hard time coming up with something. Great thinking outside the box.~Cathy

ayamlin said...

Hello marina!
If you want me to send some Japanese stamps, I'll send you:)
I want something cards like posters that you update or something instead of it:)

mrsnesbitt said...

Napkin collecting, sounds a great idea...think of all the lovely meals out you could have.
My hobby?
Hmmmmmmmmmm photography, cooking, entertaining and motorbike...keeps me busy.

Thanks
Dxx

Louise said...

You knit EVERY DAY? How very, very wonderful. I'm so jealous of you! And thanks for stopping by my blog!