Friday, August 27, 2010

My World Tuesday:Cooking greek!

A few days ago we celebrated Saint (Agio) Fanourio.
As our tradition say, we make a cake the day before the celebration or the same day using 7 or 9 ingredients.
Then we give pieces of the cake to the people around us.We use to make this cake during the year too, when we lose something and we call Saint Fanourio to help us find it.
It was a little bit strange this year cause I had to share my cake with people I didn't know.So I rolled some pieces in a paper and using the translator of google I wrote a small note in French about who I am and what was the cake about. Then I knocked the door of the apartment downstairs. A middle aged woman opened the door. She was really
surprised!!! She thanked me and I was so reliefed that I made the right thing. Half an hour later a man was standing in front of my door with a "welcome" bottle of wine. He was her husband! I felt so good!!! My cake was the reason to meet some of my neighbors!My cake was a big success and so were my dolmadakia!
Thanks to my mum who prepared some vases with leaves
I managed to roll several of them and we had a delicious lunch!

If you want to eat(LOL)-sorry- to see more of the world follow...
My World.
Thank you My World Team!

9 comments:

Anette said...

What a nice costum! It is always a bit scary to take the first step to get to know someone, it was good to have some cake to bring, and a helping Saint!
Hope to see some Greek chocolate ideas soon!

Reader Wil said...

Oh, I wished you were one of my neighbours. I have lovely neighbours, but some body who bakes a cake for the neighbourhood is always very welcome! It looks wonderful and delicious. Who is this Saint?

Penelope Notes said...

The food looks so delicious! I also like the story you told. It shows how life is about giving and receiving and that good will is around every corner when we are open to finding it! Thanks for sharing this special moment in your week. :)

Kay L. Davies said...

That's what I like -- food, and pictures of food. LOL
Sharing cake with your neighbors is a wonderful custom, and I agree with Wil, I wish you were one of my neighbors.
Kay
Alberta, Canada

Reader Wil said...

Thank you for sending me the URL about the saint. It's an interesting story!

Shey said...

That was a great gesture you did for your neighbor. Good for you. I wish I lived next to you too. This looks delicious. :)

DeniseinVA said...

How lovely Marina, you made your neighbors so happy. What a delightful way of meeting them. The cake and the dolmadakia looked delicious.

Thank you for your sweet comments on my blog. I truly hope that we will be able to meet one day.
An English Girl Rambles

ayamlin said...

Hi Marina!
they look yummy!!
I wanna eat them!
I believe I eat your dish and cake someday!!
I gotta go jogging from now on.
I already read next your post.
I'll commet on it next time:)
Have a happy weekend!

Jientje said...

What a nice way to meet your new neighbors!