Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Wild herbs: my family's favourite food...


My parents taught me and my sister to love nature and its goods. We used to go for pic-nics to the counrty with other families. The air there was clean and fresh and brought us laughs and happiness. The children were playing and running or making bunches of wild flowers and the parents were collecting wild herbs. I felt really grown up when my mom gave me one day a knife and a plastic bag and told me that I was ready to join the adults!
Many years have passed since that day but I still like to collect and eat wild herbs! And my family too! I cook them with m
any ways: boiled, in a pie, fricassee with a meat...
Two days ago, we went to the country and we found many of them.

As soon as I got home, I boiled some and that was my supper:
wild herbs with Cretian olive oil and lots of lemon!

A light and healthy dish!

I even collected some beautiful anemones and put them in a small vase!


Ow! I LOVE NATURE AND ITS GOODIES!!!

9 comments:

Maria Verivaki said...

i'm so glad you did this - fantastic work!

Maria Verivaki said...

i'm so glad you did this - fantastic work!

Anette said...

I'm looking out on the snow, and wishing I could go and collect wild herbs! Do you know the names of the herbs you found? It's something really great about finding things growing wild in the nature and taking it home to eat it, or just admire it!

antigoni said...

I always prefered playing or picking flowers than collecting herbs. That's why i don't know them very well but i like eating them.

ayamlin said...

Hi marina.
I don't have a place to pick some herb near my house.
you're so lucky you can get many herb near your house!
it looks so good:)

Tamara Jansen said...

How do you know if they are edible or not? Aren't they bitter? I've never done such a thing.....always buy lettuce at the grocery store :)

Maria said...

That herbs look good and healthy! I think you picked dandelions? And maybe also nettles? My grandma cooked nettles soup. And dandelions make a nice salad.
So in Greece you have already fresh herbs? Wow, here it's still winter!
Yes, the dog is very much like a baby :)Hm, somehow she IS my baby :))))
Have a nice week Marina!

antigoni said...

I posted the tag thing.

Louise said...

All of it looks and sounds absolutely WONDERFUL!